Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Why I Hate "The Playboy Club"

                Playboy and I have a history.  I don’t want us to have a future.  I know what many will say, “If you don’t want to watch it nobody’s holding a gun to your head and making you watch.”  That is such a naïve retort.  First of all it’s called coercion look into it, the show is on a station which wants you to watch it so the advertising is pervasive.  Second of all and more threatening is the fact that it’s in my house regardless of how I feel about it.  “The Playboy Club” and shows of its ilk are simply a careless flick of the channel away and my boys like to carelessly flick the remote. 
                The problem is that the more ideas of this humanist and materialist nature are shoved down our throats the more opportunity our children have to be influenced.  There are so many parents who just let their kids get washed away with the tide of culture.  When girls march by in their bikini tops they opine, “Oh it’s just an Abercrombie thing.”  Excuse me but if a kid strolled by in his white hood and robe would the same parent say, “Oh it’s just a Klan thing.”  I think not.
The “Abercrombie thing” like the “Playboy thing” or the “Pink thing” dehumanizes, commoditizes, and sexualizes girls at younger and younger ages.  They are the perfect commodities in that they consume product in order that they become commodities which are used as products.  They are fed upon in a negatively symbiotic relationship. Thus becoming complicit in their own victimization and so it becomes impossible to uncover the source of one’s suicidal tendencies.  It’s the perfect crime.  O.K. so she may not die bodily, although it’s been known to happen, maybe her soul simply dies.  Oh well a soul is hard to care for and not at all relevant to ones superficial gain.
These girls become images which will not be erased from the minds of our boys.  I don’t mean that in a romantic or sentimental or nostalgic way; I mean they will be used as a personal attempt at self gratification. 
In my experience it’s not as though one sits around and remembers exact moments from one’s past, though that will happen.  The real danger is in one’s changed vision going forward.  Once we begin to react to persons as commodities we seek out more commoditized visions and interactions, interactions we attempt to use and control; interactions which are less personal, less interactive, more superficial and more damaging.
We are very selective about the television we watch at our house and we are ever pruning shows away.  I don’t want to watch “The Biggest Loser” this year or probably ever again.  Even shows which purport to be for the good have to have an element of sex and sexism.  Women are given the good fortune of being made sexy by people who are also trying to be made the icon of sexy.  What a waste of time.
I just want to defend my family and my own soul too.  So nobody has to have a relationship with Playboy anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment